Raleigh, NC– Governor Pat McCrory signed 18 bills today, including:
- SB 379 (Sen. Jackson) Exp. of Natural Gas & Propane for Agriculture - This legislation allows for greater flexibility for state economic development funds to support expanded natural gas and propane infrastructure for agricultural projects.
“This is pro-jobs, economic development legislation that helps agribusiness grow through pipeline infrastructure expansion at a time when we need it the most. This will be especially helpful for rural areas.”
- SB 76 (Sens. Newton, Rucho and Brock) Domestic Energy Jobs Act - This legislation directs the Mining and Energy Commission to explore the next steps to allow North Carolinians to conduct greater energy exploration. This legislation also establishes an Offshore Energy Fund of up to $250 million dollars for emergencies.
"This legislation is a step in the right direction, but it does not go far enough. We need an all-of-the-above energy policy and that includes the exploration of shale gas.” – Governor Pat McCrory
- SB 353 (Sen. Harrington) Health and Safety Law Changes - This bill will enhance the medical and safety standards for North Carolina’s abortion clinics and directs the Department of Health and Human Services to write new safety and professional standards for these clinics.
“I would have vetoed HB 695 because it was clearly designed to restrict access. I am pleased that this new legislation is focused on the health and safety of women in North Carolina. These higher standards will result in safer conditions for North Carolina women. This law does not further limit access and those who contend it does are more interested in politics than the health and safety of our citizens.” – Governor Pat McCrory
- SB 683 (Sens. Goolsby, Barringer and Kinnaird) Safe Harbor/Victims of Human Trafficking - This legislation provides protections to minors, the severely mentally ill and the most vulnerable in our society from human trafficking. Further, this legislation imposes stiff penalties for those who would exploit individuals through human trafficking.
“It is important to protect victims and likely victims of human trafficking. These children should have every opportunity to live in a safe environment and without the prospect of living in fear.” – Governor Pat McCrory
- HB 269 (Reps. Jordan, Brandon, Jones and Stam) Children w/Disabilities Scholarship Grants - This legislation creates special education scholarship grants for children with disabilities to attend nonpublic schools. The $3,000 per semester grants may be used for tuition, special education, and related services.
“This legislation ensures that our commitment to excellence and innovation in K-12 education is extended to all North Carolina students. Students with physical or learning disabilities deserve access to the best education possible and this legislation goes a long way toward providing that.” – Governor Pat McCrory
- HB 937 (Reps. Schaffer, Burr, Faircloth and Cleveland) Amend Various Firearms Laws - This legislation amends state firearms laws.
- HB 112 (Reps. Dollar, Collins and McElraft) Modifications/2013 Appropriations Act - Technical corrections to the 2013-2014 budget bill
Other bills signed include: HB 399, HB 675, HB 936, SB 18, SB 103, SB 305, SB 381, SB 485, SB 626, SB 571 and SB 354. For more information on these bills, please visit: NCleg.net.